Testimony
I found the notes I made for my baptism 3 years ago, so thought I would blogg it as an encouragment. Maybe other church bloggers could also blog their testimonies? Just an idea!!
'Thanks to my mum and many of the people at Elim who taught me years ago in bible school, I grew up knowing that God was real and that Jesus loved me. Although I was very young at the time I do remember being aware of His love. Mum told me recently that when I was young, she found me crying and all upset and when she asked what was the matter I had said, I was upset because I wasn't doing anything for God. Mum reassured me that by letting her go away at weekends to serve God by ministering at different churches in the UK and by me not having my mum around all the time, was in fact a way of me serving Him.
I became a Christian when I was 9 years old in bible school at Elim. I remember I'd been thinking about it for a while. One day in January the leaders asked if anyone wanted to give their life to God. It was like God physically told me it was the right time. I felt someone nudging my arm, but when I opened my eyes there was no one there. Even though I was young I'll never forget that being nudged feeling. So I made the decision to give my life to God.
I grew up and although I knew that He was there for me, I never really fully understood or had a relationship with Him. This continued throughout my early teenage years, as even though I came to church, I never felt settled and the issue of wanting to fit in and be accepted took over any desire I had to get to know God and let Him impact my life.
At the age of around 14/15 I made a recommitment to God as I needed to take onboard and find my own personal faith and not that of my family. Still struggling with insecurities and a desire to be accepted, I started to join the mid week youth activities (yoyo). God challenged me and taught me lots, but I still never really let him in my life.
Then along came Andy and Carla, who opened up their house and encouraged the older youth at Elim to meet together, to learn about God, to be open with and support each other and have fun. For the first time, I felt truely close to God. For the last few years I've been supported and encouraged by great Christian mates (thanks guys -you know who you are!). By being open as a group, we've been challenged and I've grown a lot closer to God because of that.
You might be wondering why it took me from when I was 9 till 22 (3 years ago) to be baptised. Well to be baptised is to believe and have a personal faith in Jesus Christ, accepting Him as your saviour. I want to encourage anyone who believes and has accepted Jesus as their saviour and hasn't been baptised to be baptised and not to put it off any longer. Many things prevented me over the years. For example, telling myself that once your baptised God expects you not to stuff up and make mistakes. This is totally an idea thought up by ourselves and is something which satan loves to hear.
I've let God down many times but He is always there to receive me once again and forgive. Being baptised doesn't mean we have a perfect relationship with God from then onwards, but it does mean we are commited and want to give Him our life.
I read a book called 'Baptism and you' by Rob Warner and I throughly recommend it. It helped me to understand that baptism is a command from God and should not be delayed. I kept telling myself that
I'd get baptised in my own time, when I was ready, when God told me its time e.t.c, but I realised that you don't need to wait for personal guidance before getting baptised and God has already told you He wants you to in the bible! He taught aboutit, Jesus got baptised, the apostles taught it...I mean what more does He have to say!
I got baptised (3 years ago) as I realised I needed to rspond and obey His command. I felt God ask me if I this was where I wanted to be in my relationship with Him in 10 years time -not having moved forward. After realising that I didn't and that baptism was a step I needed to take to move forward, I got baptised. It was a great evening and even my dad came, which was great.
Well that was 3 years ago. I can't say that its made life any easier, but I do feel a lot stronger. God has done amazing things at work (I started there the day after my baptism!).
I still struggle with insecurities, but know rather than try and cope on my own in my strength, I give it to Him. God has given me a very sensitive and soft heart, which in some ways is great as it means I can be open and honest with people and try to share His love with others, but it means I can often take many things to heart as well and then dwell on things.
We are in a major battle people and although we've already won, we've still got to go through the battle first. It's tough, but it's the best.
Just remember one day we are going HOME!! and will see Jesus face to face!! Praise God!
If you aren't sure that that includes you -please get in touch!
'Thanks to my mum and many of the people at Elim who taught me years ago in bible school, I grew up knowing that God was real and that Jesus loved me. Although I was very young at the time I do remember being aware of His love. Mum told me recently that when I was young, she found me crying and all upset and when she asked what was the matter I had said, I was upset because I wasn't doing anything for God. Mum reassured me that by letting her go away at weekends to serve God by ministering at different churches in the UK and by me not having my mum around all the time, was in fact a way of me serving Him.
I became a Christian when I was 9 years old in bible school at Elim. I remember I'd been thinking about it for a while. One day in January the leaders asked if anyone wanted to give their life to God. It was like God physically told me it was the right time. I felt someone nudging my arm, but when I opened my eyes there was no one there. Even though I was young I'll never forget that being nudged feeling. So I made the decision to give my life to God.
I grew up and although I knew that He was there for me, I never really fully understood or had a relationship with Him. This continued throughout my early teenage years, as even though I came to church, I never felt settled and the issue of wanting to fit in and be accepted took over any desire I had to get to know God and let Him impact my life.
At the age of around 14/15 I made a recommitment to God as I needed to take onboard and find my own personal faith and not that of my family. Still struggling with insecurities and a desire to be accepted, I started to join the mid week youth activities (yoyo). God challenged me and taught me lots, but I still never really let him in my life.
Then along came Andy and Carla, who opened up their house and encouraged the older youth at Elim to meet together, to learn about God, to be open with and support each other and have fun. For the first time, I felt truely close to God. For the last few years I've been supported and encouraged by great Christian mates (thanks guys -you know who you are!). By being open as a group, we've been challenged and I've grown a lot closer to God because of that.
You might be wondering why it took me from when I was 9 till 22 (3 years ago) to be baptised. Well to be baptised is to believe and have a personal faith in Jesus Christ, accepting Him as your saviour. I want to encourage anyone who believes and has accepted Jesus as their saviour and hasn't been baptised to be baptised and not to put it off any longer. Many things prevented me over the years. For example, telling myself that once your baptised God expects you not to stuff up and make mistakes. This is totally an idea thought up by ourselves and is something which satan loves to hear.
I've let God down many times but He is always there to receive me once again and forgive. Being baptised doesn't mean we have a perfect relationship with God from then onwards, but it does mean we are commited and want to give Him our life.
I read a book called 'Baptism and you' by Rob Warner and I throughly recommend it. It helped me to understand that baptism is a command from God and should not be delayed. I kept telling myself that
I'd get baptised in my own time, when I was ready, when God told me its time e.t.c, but I realised that you don't need to wait for personal guidance before getting baptised and God has already told you He wants you to in the bible! He taught aboutit, Jesus got baptised, the apostles taught it...I mean what more does He have to say!
I got baptised (3 years ago) as I realised I needed to rspond and obey His command. I felt God ask me if I this was where I wanted to be in my relationship with Him in 10 years time -not having moved forward. After realising that I didn't and that baptism was a step I needed to take to move forward, I got baptised. It was a great evening and even my dad came, which was great.
Well that was 3 years ago. I can't say that its made life any easier, but I do feel a lot stronger. God has done amazing things at work (I started there the day after my baptism!).
I still struggle with insecurities, but know rather than try and cope on my own in my strength, I give it to Him. God has given me a very sensitive and soft heart, which in some ways is great as it means I can be open and honest with people and try to share His love with others, but it means I can often take many things to heart as well and then dwell on things.
We are in a major battle people and although we've already won, we've still got to go through the battle first. It's tough, but it's the best.
Just remember one day we are going HOME!! and will see Jesus face to face!! Praise God!
If you aren't sure that that includes you -please get in touch!
4 Comments:
Lisa,
Great to see you tonight. I think blogging testamonies are an excellent idea. Since PDL I keep thinking about my testimony and putting it down on paper. Isn't it amazing to think that God knows our future and has used our past to "shape" us.
Hold onto your tender heartedness. This is a precious gift particularly in these days. Many will see your gentleness and see God through this.
Thank you for sharing your testimony.
God bless,
Sarah :-)
By
SarahB, at 11:52 pm
Your testimony has challenged me to even be more open and real than what I am now. I will post my testimony soon. Nicole
By
Nicole's Psalm, at 10:24 pm
Hi Lisa
Great testimony - and thanks for sharing it on your blog!
You keep singing and praising God girl, coz you're fab, you sing beautifully and you've got the heart of a worshipper!
Keep me posted about Brazil!
Love
Penster xxx
By
Penelope, at 11:52 am
Fantastic bold posting Lisa.
By
Jonathan, at 4:52 pm
Post a Comment
<< Home