Language -a barrier?
Ola, Boa tarde. Como esta? Eu estou aprendendo portugues. Que legal!
For those wondering what that all means...Hi, Good afternoon. How are you? I am currently learning Portuguese. Cool!
In 2003, when I was able to visit a project in Fortaleza, Brazil with 'Hand-In-Hand' I found the language barrier really frustrating as the children were trying to communicate with me and I couldn't understand or talk back. At the time I got quite upset about it, but God showed me that there are so many ways we can show His love without having to use our mouths! Just smiling and giving the kids a hug was amazing. I love the fact that there are believers from all different countries praising God in all different languages! While in Brazil, I learnt 'Open the eyes of my heart' in Brazilian portuguese! Somehow it made all the words seem more real!

I'm going back out to Fortaleza in August with Hand-In-Hand, but I've decided this time to learn a little of the language! Brazilian Portuguese is slightly different than the Portuguese spoken and written in Portugal, as it is pronunced and spelt differently! However it is very similar. I've got a teach yourself Brazilian Portugeuse book and tape, which is great. Lunchtimes at work I'm using the BBC Website for the languages section. It's amazing what you can learn on it in half an hour each day! My work mates are testing me!
Anyway, thats enough for now!
Volte sempre! (Come back again!) Tchau! (Bye)
For those wondering what that all means...Hi, Good afternoon. How are you? I am currently learning Portuguese. Cool!
In 2003, when I was able to visit a project in Fortaleza, Brazil with 'Hand-In-Hand' I found the language barrier really frustrating as the children were trying to communicate with me and I couldn't understand or talk back. At the time I got quite upset about it, but God showed me that there are so many ways we can show His love without having to use our mouths! Just smiling and giving the kids a hug was amazing. I love the fact that there are believers from all different countries praising God in all different languages! While in Brazil, I learnt 'Open the eyes of my heart' in Brazilian portuguese! Somehow it made all the words seem more real!

I'm going back out to Fortaleza in August with Hand-In-Hand, but I've decided this time to learn a little of the language! Brazilian Portuguese is slightly different than the Portuguese spoken and written in Portugal, as it is pronunced and spelt differently! However it is very similar. I've got a teach yourself Brazilian Portugeuse book and tape, which is great. Lunchtimes at work I'm using the BBC Website for the languages section. It's amazing what you can learn on it in half an hour each day! My work mates are testing me!
Anyway, thats enough for now!
Volte sempre! (Come back again!) Tchau! (Bye)
2 Comments:
hey Lisa, that's well cool how God crosses languages and is with believers all around the world in their different cultures - yet He is always the same God.
At work there are 3 Polish guys that I know. They often speak to eachother in Polish, and I love thinking about the intricacies of their language.
recently I got to talk with one of them about God as well, and although it's hard to discuss stuff (when I don't know any Polish and their breadth of English doesn't always cover religious stuff), God still provided a great opportunity and privillage to talk with them.
Thanks for sharing Lisa
By
commentator33, at 10:56 pm
Hi Lisa, Preach Christ, use words if you have to. Well done for learning portuguese. Languages are fascinating. I speak french. I use to work in Dover as a midwife and I use to translate for the french people who had to come into hospital. Also in Reinhard Bonnke conference I translated for the ministry team. The Lord works in mysterious ways. i also speak a little hindi. I know how you felt when I've been on holidays I've been frustrated for not able to communicate. Nicole
By
Nicole's Psalm, at 11:38 am
Post a Comment
<< Home