Breath of life
Day two of the Purpose Driven Life book today. It has given me loads more to think about and I hope for those of you reading it, that it has already done the same to you.
I started this book in October 2003 but only got to day 13 and then stopped. Some books are so challenging that you know that continuing to read them will mean you have to change and sometimes it is really difficult to face that. I hope this time to complete it.
The phrase 'breath of life' has been close to me since God gave me the song 'thank you' back in March last year. We are here right now breathing on earth because God sustains us and wants us to be here, which must mean He has something more planned for us to do.
A couple of months ago I really learnt how we should not take breathing for granted. I had been told a while back that it is likely that I have asthma, but I never got diagnosed properly and I never really understood the seriousness of it, so didn't make an effort to take any inhalers.
I continued living and managed to continue as normal, but not realising that actually I was not living as well as I could be -I was used to having much less air in each breath then I should have, so I just coped. But then people started to tell me I was sounding wheezy when I was just talking normally and I was named mutley. Anytime I laughed, I would be out of breath and I laugh a lot, so this became common. Walking out in the cold for a minute would leave me wheezy and even talking on the telephone for a length of time.
I realised how little air was in my lungs first thing in the morning, when I could not let anyone speak to me for at least half an hour. Why? Well cause I could not reply, as I needed to save my breath and try and catch up a bit first. Going to bed was awful as as soon as I lay down I could hear my lungs struggling. To solve this I would put headphones on and try and block out the sound of my breathing so that I wouldn't hear it and get even tighter in the chest.
I eventually made an appointment last autumn and went again to be assessed. For my age and height I'm supposed to be at least 480 for my peak flow rate and even more than that as I sing regularly, but I am only 270ish. I got told off for not getting checked sooner and I'm now on a strong orange inhaler 4 times a day. The difference has been amazing. The daily tightness in my chest has gone and my lungs and airways are slowing improving. I will soon nopefully be down to maintenance level.
I'm sure Satan loves to attack us where it can hurt the most. For singers that has to be the lungs and airways. My mum suffered with a serious lung disease for many years and it has left her with bad asthma. Whatever Satan does God still manages to give us both breath when we sing! It's like the supply comes from a completely different source as God gives as the breath we need to produce a powerful sound!
Thank you Lord for breathing your breath of life in me.
I started this book in October 2003 but only got to day 13 and then stopped. Some books are so challenging that you know that continuing to read them will mean you have to change and sometimes it is really difficult to face that. I hope this time to complete it.
The phrase 'breath of life' has been close to me since God gave me the song 'thank you' back in March last year. We are here right now breathing on earth because God sustains us and wants us to be here, which must mean He has something more planned for us to do.
A couple of months ago I really learnt how we should not take breathing for granted. I had been told a while back that it is likely that I have asthma, but I never got diagnosed properly and I never really understood the seriousness of it, so didn't make an effort to take any inhalers.
I continued living and managed to continue as normal, but not realising that actually I was not living as well as I could be -I was used to having much less air in each breath then I should have, so I just coped. But then people started to tell me I was sounding wheezy when I was just talking normally and I was named mutley. Anytime I laughed, I would be out of breath and I laugh a lot, so this became common. Walking out in the cold for a minute would leave me wheezy and even talking on the telephone for a length of time.
I realised how little air was in my lungs first thing in the morning, when I could not let anyone speak to me for at least half an hour. Why? Well cause I could not reply, as I needed to save my breath and try and catch up a bit first. Going to bed was awful as as soon as I lay down I could hear my lungs struggling. To solve this I would put headphones on and try and block out the sound of my breathing so that I wouldn't hear it and get even tighter in the chest.
I eventually made an appointment last autumn and went again to be assessed. For my age and height I'm supposed to be at least 480 for my peak flow rate and even more than that as I sing regularly, but I am only 270ish. I got told off for not getting checked sooner and I'm now on a strong orange inhaler 4 times a day. The difference has been amazing. The daily tightness in my chest has gone and my lungs and airways are slowing improving. I will soon nopefully be down to maintenance level.
I'm sure Satan loves to attack us where it can hurt the most. For singers that has to be the lungs and airways. My mum suffered with a serious lung disease for many years and it has left her with bad asthma. Whatever Satan does God still manages to give us both breath when we sing! It's like the supply comes from a completely different source as God gives as the breath we need to produce a powerful sound!
Thank you Lord for breathing your breath of life in me.
5 Comments:
Hi Lisa,
Sorry to hear about your asthma and am glad you are getting that treated. It is wonderful that you are continuing your singing ministry.
Your blog has been really helpful to me as Daniel struggles with his breathing. He is still on oxygen and all the symptoms you described he can experience- bless. This is all part of God's plan as he doesn't make any mistakes so God can still use us even if it doesn't look promising... Keep singing and blogging.
:-)
Sarah
By
SarahB, at 12:30 am
I loved this blog, Lisa - been thinking about how to reply to it since you wrote it.
Strengths and weaknesses often go more closely together than we realise. What we misght see as a weakness, God sees as a strength, and what we perceive as a gift, or talent, is often what Satan homes in on, to make it a source of apparent weakness.
Your voice has always been a blessing, to me and I know to many others. Not surprising, then, that Satan would seek to rob you of it - he's always been a thief! I am glad that you're having treatment for it, and are already feeling the benefits. But alongside that, I see an increasing anointing on your ministry (and not just singing!), which I know God will cause to grow, as you relax into His love and His guidance
Why don't you work on some new lyrics? "Breath of Life" sounds like a great title for a song!
Thanks for being such a blessing
:)
Pat
By
PatK, at 8:31 am
Hi Lisa
Fairly new to the world of blogging and have just checked out your recent posts.
Great when you realise you are not just singing in your own strength but God is giving you the breath you need.
Well Done as well for all the work you do with Hand in Hand - looks like it's going well.
Rhianne
By
rhi, at 6:43 pm
Hi Sarah, Pat and Rhi
Thanks for posting comments and for the encouragement.
Working on lyrics Pat! 'Breath of Life' is a great idea! Will keep you posted on it! Posted! ha ha get it!
By
Lisa, at 10:05 pm
Hi Lisa, Accepting the sickness takes a long time isn't it. Praise the Lord you are feeling the benefit of drugs and the Lord's anointed healing. Like many others I'm blessed by your singing. thankyou. Nicole
By
Nicole's Psalm, at 11:56 am
Post a Comment
<< Home